Monday, April 30, 2012

Healtheries Wholesome Fruit Loaf


I found this recipe on the back of my Healtheries Ground Linseed packet.  I made it tentatively, not because I didn't think it would be yummy, but because I wasn't sure if it was something the kids would eat.  Its packed full of dried fruit, ground linseed and wheatgerm and just screams healthy.  I guess this is where I can be thankful that I have brought my children up on mostly wholesome food with as less packaged food as my time allows, because they totally love it.  Sprat requested it in his lunchbox this morning!

The recipe is as follows:

1 cup chopped pitted dates, firmly packed
1 cup of water
50g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup runny honey
1/2 cup Healtheries Ground Linseed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped dried fruit (I use apricots, strawberries and sultanas)
1 cup white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup Healtheries Stabilised Wheatgerm

Preheat oven to 150 degrees.  The packet says fanbake, but I bake mine at 150 degrees on normal bake.  Line the base and sides of your loaf tin.

Place chopped dates into a large saucepan with water, butter, sugar and honey.  Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 2 minutes.  Take off heat, stir in baking soda and ground linseed and leave to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.

Once slightly cooled stir in eggs and other dried fruit.  Add in all other ingredients and mix until just combined.

Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth the top.  Bake for approx 1 hour or until risen and golden and set.  Leave in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.

I serve it to the kids either plain or with a light smear of butter.

You can vary your dried fruit as well - try kiwifruit or cranberries. 



2 comments:

Healtheries said...

Hi Julie,

It's great that you and your family love our Ground Linseed and enjoyed the Wholesome Fruit Loaf. Thank you for posting and sharing our recipe with your readers.

Happy baking!

The team at Healtheries

Miriam said...

Yum! That looks so good!