Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Serious Side to Parenting

Sprat broke his arm on the school playground this week.  I watched it happen.  Saw him fall, saw his arm break, had my heart squeezed by his screams of pain.

Its funny how when you relay stories like this, people often say how in that situation they wouldn't be able to handle it.  Its hard to know how you are going to react until it happens.  I am standing in the playground, holding my precious child with his crazy bent arm, trying to soothe his screams, trying to decide if I will make it all the way out to my car with him and a pre-schooler and toddler in tow, or do I call an ambulance, should I take him to the school office (but its after school hours), where did The Girl go, why are the other parents not helping, did Danger Mouse really climb up there just then that quick ..... and on the outside I am calm.  

On the inside I am nearly giving way to complete panic.  But motherly protection takes over - I can't scare my child further by freaking out (as much as inwardly I am) so I need to take a deep breath, and stay calm.  Soothing voice, gentle touches and rational thinking.  This is where I need to be a serious parent - clear headed, quick thinking, calm, loving, organised and protective.

Thankfully a parent or teacher helped herd Danger Mouse and The Girl, with their bikes, towards the school office for me.  Thankfully the school office calmed Sprat down while I took the two kids and got the car and brought it around to the front of the school.  Thankfully the hubby happened to be driving past the back gate as I emerged and was able to make it back to Sprat before me.  

Unfortunately due to how the bones broke it couldn't be cast at our local doctors, so we had to go to Waikato Hospital, where Sprat had to be heavily sedated so they could straighten his arm and cast it there.  And still I stayed calm. Joking with the doctors and nurses.  Watching the crazy effects of sedation take over my child and acting like I am cool with it.  Calling family and keeping them informed. Dutifully being amazed by how wonderfully we were being looked after.



Once the sedation had worn off, the erratic behavior had somewhat stopped and we had the all clear, we were allowed to go home.  Still calm.  I drove my baby home, got him comfortable in bed, waited till he fell asleep and cried my heart out.

I am so glad the past few days are over.  Serious parenting is exhausting, tiresome and worrisome.   A small part of me is relieved to know that I was able to keep it together in that situation, but another part of me wonders if the situation was more serious would of I given in to that pure panic. I hope I never have to find out.

Hug your children close, they are so precious and wonderful.

On a lighter note we'll be enjoying painting Sprats white canvas tomorrow and making an artwork for him to take to school on Monday and show off.  And he has a really cool story to tell his mates.

5 comments:

jasmine t said...

Wow - as a mummy of a three yr old boy who is a monkey - i some days feel like i am just waiting for an accident to happen!
i hope your wee man has a smooth healing and what a great idea to paint his cast!

OP SHOP MAMA said...

Ahhh no!! Poor you - I know about serious parenting a bit... and I am not good at it at all... I have fortunately not been at the scene when 2 boys have broken bones.. John was there and he is ACE at serious parenting, the medical kind.

Exhausting for sure. I remember my mum was SO calm, soothing and brave when we were kids, in any scenario - that's how your kids will remember you!

Miriam said...

oh I would have howled too xxx lots of love, I'd love you to link this in to BMWB if you want to

Leonie said...

Oh no - poor you guys!! Well done you for being the cool calm and collected mum you needed to be. no doubt it made the situation infinitely better and helped all round. Glad it's over for you and you got to let it out - yay for painting and cool stories :)

Tash said...

Poor you:( And your poor wee boy. I had tears when I read that you broke down. It is so hard to keep it together sometimes and you did AWESOME! But sometimes it is just overwhelming. I hope the recovery is a quick one.