Friday, March 15, 2013

Salted Caramel Slice


I was yearning to do some 'normal' baking (ie, not dairy, wheat or sugar free) this week.  Not necessarily to eat it, just to bake with ingredients I was familiar with.  I found this recipe in the latest Bite Magazine (from the NZ Herald) and took it along to my Friday morning Playgroup.

Apart from the base being slightly crumbly, it was good.  Salted caramel is just delicious.

250 grams butter
100 grams sugar
100 grams cornflour
50 grams icing sugar
350 grams flour
1 can caramel condensed milk
50 grams walnuts
1 1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 170 degrees and line a 20 x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.

Cream together the butter and sugar and add in the cornflour, icing sugar and flour.  Mix together until it forms a ball.  I used my hands for this.

Divide the mixture in half and use one half to press into the tin and place the other half in the fridge.

Bake for 20 minutes until just starting to turn golden.  Remove from oven and cool.

Mix the salt into the caramel condensed milk and spread it evenly over the cooled base. Sprinkle over the walnuts, dice up the remaining dough and sprinkle that evenly over the top.

Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 - 25 minutes.  When cool, slice into squares and store in an airtight container.




1 comment:

ButterandBuntings said...

Oh my this looks delicious. I love salted caramel and any sort of slice so putting them together is just brilliant! What a treat your playgroup would have had! x