Friday, August 10, 2012

Lemon and Pistachio Shortbread


Still on the lemon theme!  I found this recipe in the lastest Food magazine and thought they would be perfect to take to friends we are visiting this weekend.

Next time I make these I think I will roll the shortbread logs in the chopped pistachios before cutting the log, instead of folding the pistachios through the shortbread.  It was tricky to cut as the pistachios would leave holes in the biscuit they were cut away from.  I used the back of a big knife to flatten each biscuit to remove the holes, but I think it would be easier to just avoid the whole process in the first place.  I also very slightly overcooked these, I was in a rush to get dinner in the oven and put the oven on fan bake but forget to turn it down ... who's perfect huh.  They still taste great.

250g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 lemon, zest finely grated
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornflour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.  Sift in flour, cornflour and salt.  Gently mix together until combined.  Fold in pistachios.

Place 2 pieces of cling film on a clean kitchen bench.  Divide the shortbread in two and form both into evenly sized logs (approx 18cm x 6cm x 2cm).  I didn't measure mine.  Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 - 25 minutes until the dough is firm enough to slice.


To bake, cut each log into 1cm thick slices and place them on the prepared baking trays.  Prick each piece with a fork a few times.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until it is firm and only very lightly coloured.  Transfer to cooling racks.


No comments: