Sunday, September 18, 2011

Creamy Custard Tart


Confession time.  I am a total diehard custard freak.  Love it.  But apart from the odd custard cake (which I must share with you soon) I hardly ever make anything lovely and custardy.  So on a last minute whim tonight after a hard day sanding and painting (my next project - watch this space) I decided to 'whip' up a Custard Tart for dessert.

This was impressive.  Not too sweet, great texture and creamy - I had a pretty big chunk and was very satisfied afterwards but didn't feel like I had overindulged.  Even better was it was so easy to make! 

400g Sweet Shortcrust Pastry (I made mine from the Edmonds book)
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups full cream milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.  Line your pie dish with pastry and trim the edges.  Prick the bottom of the pastry, line with baking paper and fill with rice, dried beans or pastry beads.  Bake for 10 minutes.

While pastry is cooking, beat together the eggs.  Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir together until well mixed. 

When pastry is cooked, pour the filling into the crust and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  You might want to cover your pastry edges if there is alot exposed with tinfoil to stop it from browning too much.

Let the pie cool completely before serving and store in the fridge.

No comments: