Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jacks Blue Cupcakes


Jack was feeling pretty down today, so I asked him what we could do together to cheer him up.  He suggested making cupcakes, and wanted them totally blue.  I just brought a new Wilton tip as I really want to start to create better looking cupcakes and was itching to give it a go.  I use the vanilla cupcake recipe from the Australian MasterChef series - its so simple and has never failed on me yet.

100 grams soft butter
185 grams sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
200 grams self raising flour
1/2 cup of milk

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Line muffin tins.

Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale.  Add eggs, one at a time and beat until just combined.  Add flour and milk in alternate batches and stir with a wooden spoon till just combined.  Add any flavourings or colourings.  Spoon into paper cases and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.


To make Jacks blue cakes, I added nearly 2 tablespoons of supermarket grade food colouring. 


Lets just say they weren't really a hit with Jack, but Sam and I ate them - they tasted amazing!!  I probably need more practice with the icing, but for a first try I thought I did pretty good.


No comments: