Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Anzac Slice


I have tried for years to perfect the Anzac Biscuit.  It is the one baking item that has defeated me time and time again.  I have no idea why I can't do it.  What I can do though, is bake an impressive Anzac Slice, that has never failed me.  This was another recipe I pulled out of a magazine years ago, and its a staple in my regular baking!

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

Pre heat oven to 160 degrees and grease and line a 20cm x 30cm slice pan.

Combine the oats, sifted flour, mixed spice, brown sugar and coconut in a bowl and mix well.

Combine the butter, golden syrup and water in a medium pan and stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the butter melts.  Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.  Press into prepared slice pan and cook for approx 30 - 35 minutes, or until cooked.  Do not overcook this slice as it will become hard.

No comments: